What is Needs Assessment?
Needs assessments help both Candidate and Reflective Coach connect to resources for professional growth. Reflective Coaches, through professional learning articles and tools, learn to identify the needs of their Candidate(s), and know to modify support to meet the needs.
How do I best assess my candidate's needs?
The resources below offer assistance on assessing candidate needs.
- I connect teachers with experts who can provide targeted support in areas that are not my expertise.
- I support teachers in understanding the site administrators’ expectations and the school’s culture.
- I support teachers to practice work/life balance.
- I support teachers to ensure that materials are readily available and easily accessible.
- Understanding teacher needs through Pre-Service Transition Plan or prior teaching experience helps me strategize supports.
- I provide a variety of just in time supports to meet the situational, emotional, or on the go needs of my Candidate.
- What are some ways you reduce stress and provide a good work/school balance?
- Do you have any questions regarding report cards, parent conferences, or any other upcoming events?
- What is going well?
- Do you have the materials and supplies you need to do your job?
- What needs surfaced from your CSTP self-assessment?
- What can you share about your strengths and challenges from either your Transition Plan or prior teaching experience?
- How can our time together today be most useful to you?
- How can I support you between now and our next meeting?
- What questions, concerns or needs do you have regarding your school site and administrator expectations?
Cantrell, S. C., & Hughes, H. K. (2008). Teacher efficacy and content literacy implementation: An exploration of the effects of extended professional development within coaching. Journal of Literacy Research, 40, 95–127. This articles shares that Coaches need to diagnose teachers’ needs, even when teachers may not be aware of what those needs are, and adjust their approach accordingly.