Candidate Observation Requirements:
Candidates are required to have three observations during the program year. Candidates can be observed during any focused cycle of inquiry.
- Two candidate facilitating instruction (in-person and/or video)
- One candidate choice
The Coaching Cycle
When preparing a Planning Conversation, ask questions to…
- clarify goals
- identify what will be taught and how it will be taught
- clarify routines, procedures and materials management
- identify evidence of student understanding and learning
- determine what data will be most useful
When planning for your Reflective Conversation, ask questions to…
- support reflection of the lesson
- support comparing the intent of the lesson with what occurred
- support connections between teaching and learning
- support reflection on how new learning will inform future practice
The Observation Cycle
- How the coach in the video uses a three- step process to complete an observation for his candidate.
- How he uses data to improve the complete observation process.
- Why the coach creates a script during his observation of the candidate.
- How the candidate and coach work together to determine next steps during the coaching cycle.
Peer observation supports teachers to:
- Engage in professional learning to improve teaching
- Enhance students’ learning through reflective practice
Demonstrate leadership by observing and supporting other teachers
- Celebrate excellent teachers through the establishment of an esteemed college of peer observers
- Gather evidence of teaching quality to support career progression
- Gain feedback on significant teaching or course changes
- Enhance the culture of teaching and learning
- Form a community around teaching and learning
As an observer participating in peer observation, you may:
- See teaching practices that you can emulate
- Learn about teaching technologies
- Demonstrate leadership in teaching and learning
- Support your colleagues
- Take dedicated time to watch and reflect on teaching
- Gain students’ perspective
- Connect to colleagues within and beyond your discipline